Sunday, October 25, 2009

Finding your Inner Genius

Hey world!

I want to share a part of a conversation that I had with a long-time girlfriend yesterday.

We were discussing PURPOSE, which is embedded in the scripture (one of my favorites) Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope, and a future"...
God's plan for you? Your Purpose. How do you find your purpose? What are you REALLY here for?

My youngest brother's best friend was in the kitchen and happened to overhear my conversation. He interjected, "List the five things in life you are most passionate about, and within one of those most lies your purpose, your inner genius."

Genius is defined as "an exceptional natural capacity of intellect". I added that we should consider what we do better than anyone else naturally. I was trying to urge my daughter to not quit the marching band a few years ago, and she reminded me that I had told her: You have a natural talent for music (she played the clarinet with ease, after having to switch from the violin when she changed schools). Why abandon your GOD-GIVEN talent?

Ooh! This reminds me of the Parable of Talents (Matthew 25). Though Jesus was explaining what the Kingdom of Heaven would liken to, one cannot escape the fact that different level of talents were given to the three servants. The first servant was given five talents(a measure of money, VALUE) and he gained five more. The master's response to his efforts was, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' And the demise of the third servant, who BURIED (ok we bury things after death. What dream have we allowed someone or something to KILL??) his talent? "...Throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness..."

What will you do? Be blessed exponentially (and when I say blessed, I don't mean just financially. Close relationships are a blessing; being able to expose others to the truth is a blessing;), or live an existence in survival, reactive mode. A life of monotonous mediocrity? By all means, NO! Write down your five things. Pray that you will learn where these passions fit into your life purpose, or pray that the passion will be renewed in you. If you have discovered your purpose and are making strides toward living it daily, AMEN. We all can do it. YOU GO, GENIUS!!

1 comment:

  1. Boy! That was quite a thought. Keep in mind I am talking in general terms. First of all we as humans were given a duty by the Most High. That duty is to be producers and be manifestations of Him. So our gifts (or genius) most work in harmony with our shared duty. It is that way He will see fit that we will be and remain blessed. I know it didn't wasn't very profound but it sounded good in my head.

    ReplyDelete